Summary: In this blog, users are going to learn how to copy SQL database from one server to another safely. For this, we’re going to mention both the manual as well as automated solutions with images for a better understanding of users. The features of the solution as well as the prerequisites are also there for users. Carefully go through the entire guide to get the perfect results you expect.
How to Copy SQL DB from One Server to Another Manually
Now, to learn the manual method, the first thing for users to keep in mind is to avoid this method as much as possible If you are a new user & not proficient in the technicalities of the server, kindly avoid this method.
There is no direct manual solution for users. They have to execute this step in three phases separately. Moreover, they have to execute these phases using the T-SQL scripts. Without them, there is no simplified manual method.
Phase-1. Repair the damaged database object first. Without repairing the database objects, it’s quite difficult for users to migrate the database without hassles.
Phase-2. Now, users need to take a full backup of the database files & save them on the system locally. Then only they can proceed to the final phase.
Phase-3. Now, users need to export these backup files to the SQL server. This is the final step to copy SQL database from one server to another. After this, they might get the desired results.
- No direct method.
- T-SQL Scripts proficiency.
- Risk of complete data loss.
- Lack of advanced features.
- Chances of data corruption.
Copy SQL Database from One Server to Another Using A Modern Method
To avoid all the drawbacks present in the automated solution, users can select the automated solution. It includes the SQL Server Migration Tool. Now, it’s crucial for users to users select the right tool. The above link provides the most reliable one as of now with plenty of positive reviews.
This tool is quite advanced as it includes the integration of artificial intelligence in the utility. Now, just download the tool & then follow the below-mentioned step-by-step solution. Don’t skip any of the steps to avoid all kinds of technical errors.
Step-1. Launch the Automated Tool in the system to begin the operation.
Step-2. Select the Online or Offline Mode as per your needs accordingly.
Step-3. Preview Database Files & then Hit the Export options button.
Step-4. Now, Set Export Options & Select the Destination server.
Step-5. Finally, Hit the Export button to finish off the task safely.
Note: Once you copy SQL DB from one server to another, don’t forget to download the status report for further analysis.
Features of the Automated Method for Users to Keep in Mind
This automated utility offers several features to users. The aim is to order to focus on the accuracy, efficiency as well as the effectiveness of the results. This way it’s easier to copy SQL database from one server to another with ease & with utmost safety. Now, if these features are in the knowledge of the users, they can utilize the tool to its full potential.
- It’s possible for users to transfer the database to SQL scripts & vice versa as per their needs.
- One can even copy the database from offline MDF files to the live & offline servers as well.
- SQL server migration from one live server to another live server is possible with this utility.
- This utility is inescapable in migrating the database with schema and schema with data.
- Without a doubt, various filters help in the selective migration of SQL database objects.
- It’s possible to copy SQL data from one server to another one within the same network.
- Users can either create a new database or migrate the server files to an existing one.
- Thai tool migrates database objects like tables, views, rules, stored procedures, etc.
Prerequisites to Copy SQL Database from One Server to Another
Now after learning all the step-by-step solutions as well as features, don’t forget to go through the prerequisites too. This is significant & users can even prepare themselves for the upcoming challenges as well.
- It’s compulsory for users to have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or above version.
- Select the Run as Administrator option if you’re working on Windows OS 11, 10, 8, 7 or Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2 & 2008.
System Specification Required to Copy SQL DB from One Server to Another
- Minimum 2GB of R.A.M in the system. However, 4GB is recommended.
- The software requires approx 100MB of free hard disk space in the system.
- Users should have a 2.40GHz or 2.39GHz processor to execute the task safely.
- Windows OS: 11(64 Bit), 10, 8, 8.1, 7(32 & 64 Bit). Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2008.
- SQL Server: Version 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2008 R2, 2005, & 2000.
- Users can only migrate 25 records from each table & 5 other categories in the trial (demo) version of the tool.
Also Read: Transfer Data Between Two SQL Server Databases with Ease
The Final Verdict
After discussing all the crucial aspects of this operation, users can easily copy SQL data from one server to another. Opting for the wrong method & tool can be problematic for users. However, the right one provides users with the exact results without even a single error. Manual solution somehow works but possesses plenty of hassles. There is no way users can get a better solution than the automated method so far.
Even IT experts trust the advanced utility to copy SQL database from one server to another safely. Moreover, Microsoft’s MVPs also rely on this tool & even praise it as well. If you need a reliable solution, this one is for you. The best part of this tool is its affordability. In addition, there is also a free demo version of this tool available for testing.